Dmitry Lyalin's Applications for Windows Phone 7

TWiT for WP7 v1.0 is LIVE

image

I am VERY happy, very proud to announce that TWiT (v1.0) for Windows Phone 7 has been published to the marketplace.

Big THANK YOU to my wife, for her patience during all those lost nights and weekends I spent working on this since July

Big THANK YOU to my testers, you know who you are, your feedback was invaluable.

Big THANK YOU to the local DPE team who supported me, thank you!

Big THANK YOU to TWiT network for your support and encouragement throughout this large undertaking

Application Details

Description: “TWiT for Windows Phone 7 brings you all the networks netcast content to your mobile device in an easy to use Media Hub. Listen or watch great shows on demand such as This Week In Tech, Windows Weekly, Security Now, This Week In Google and much more (28 shows to choose from and growing)”

Zune Marketplace Link: http://bit.ly/evwZjh
(You’ll need the free Zune.net client on your machine to access this link)

Don’t know know what TWiT is? click here to learn all about this amazing netcast network! (Video / audio podcasts of 28 shows)

Upcoming releases

Patch v1.1 (Pending Marketplace Approval)

• Minor bug exists in v1.0 where under certain conditions the Cache will store the wrong episodes for a show and not update from RSS feed, this has been fixed
  • Application will be moved for Entertainment category (instead of Music and Video)
  • A few other Misc. fixes

This is already submitted for marketplace approval and I hope to have it out next week (Week of 11/29).

Patch v1.2 (Tentative)

• Adding Live audio feed!
  • More Misc. bug fixes

Bugs? Suggestions?

Please be sure to report all suggestions and issues to me by emailing twitwp7@lyalin.com.

About these ads

19 responses

1. Rohit

I posted this in your earlier post by mistake….here is what I had to say about the app:

Finally got hold of the app. First of all great work. Very efficient.
    I have one suggestion though. When I pick Shows and then click on an episode under episode section the description is loaded with white background. I think from user experience point of view it is a bit harsh when suddenly white background is loaded where every thing else is black. It takes one by surprise. It would have been good to have it as black background with white text.I think you are loading it from browser and thats why suddenly it is white.
    Just a suggestion . Overall a very good app.

November 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm

• lyalindotcom

Rohit,

Thanks for the feedback :). I am forced for now to use the webbrowser control to display this, as its HTML.

I have some ideas and will fix this in the coming versions, so stay tunned… I agree its not the best UX and i want to make it better.

November 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm

2. Rohit

Oh and one more suggestion. It would be great to subscribe to a show and have it displayed on Live Tile when new show is available. So for example suppose I subscribe to Windows Weekly, when a new episode is available, the live tile will inform me about that.

November 24, 2010 at 3:18 pm

• lyalindotcom

Rohit,

Thank you for the feedback. I actually plan to do that probably for version 1.3 or 1.4 :). I am glad to hear others share this idea

November 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm

3. Pingback: TWiT for Windows Phone 7 now available | Windows Phone Secrets

4. Dmitry,

This application is genious! I love the Hub feel, the “favorite” listing, the attention to detail, everything. As a major TWiT listener, I have been waiting and drooling for this. Great job.

One question … do you have a tip jar or contribute button? You need some compensation for this!

Jared

November 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm

• lyalindotcom

Jared,

Really love to hear from people enjoying the application, i have a lot of features and bug fixes coming so i promise this application will only get better!

As for donations, im surprised anyone wants to donate but if you do i’ve added a PayPal donation link to http://wp.lyalin.com (right-hand side menu). Your support is appreciated!

November 25, 2010 at 12:39 pm

• Dmitry,

Trust me, you deserve some donations. I just sent you some money and everyone should consider supporting Application Authors like Dmitry! Great job.

Jared

November 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm

5. techESC

Dmitry;

A fantastic app that keeps the TWiT style and molds it well with the Windows Phone 7 interface.

I think your updates will cover most of my concerns. I didn’t see a calendar listing for upcoming shows or events, buy that’s minor.

Please let me know if there is a way to donate some money for all your hard work.

Thanks,
    - Mike

November 24, 2010 at 6:55 pm

• lyalindotcom

Thank you for the nice words! I am really happy to see you and others enjoying the application. I will be adding things like calendar, live audio feed and more in the coming releases.

November 25, 2010 at 12:38 pm

6. swarnock2525

Awesome!! I have been anxiously awaiting this app since I heard about it last July!

I am sure I am missing some great shows and this app will help discover these gems!

Thanks!!!

November 24, 2010 at 8:32 pm

7. App crashes when I select play video or audio.
    Unfortunately, the app seems to store somewhere the last page I have selected in a podcast series, because every time I now open the particular podcast series the app goes to the “play” page and crashes again.

Let me know if I can help you debugging…

Michael

November 25, 2010 at 7:59 am

• lyalindotcom

Really sorry to hear this! Can you tell me what error do you see on the screen? Also try to re-start the application by clicking home button on the phone, then select the application from your start screen, it should no longer try to resume.

Any step-by-step actions and errors you are getting in detail will be a big help to try and fix this, i have not been able to crash my app in a week so I really want to know how this happens. Also, what show are you trying to listen to? or watch video? please give me those details.

I will do all I can to fix these kind of issues.

November 25, 2010 at 12:36 pm

• Michael

I can’t send you the error message because it only seems to apear at work. Is it possible that it has something to do with the firewall? Works fine here at home and over 3G..
        What port are you using vor Streaming?
        Can we move this to email? It’s probably easier ;-)

November 25, 2010 at 1:24 pm

8. Pingback: This Week in Tech (TWiT) App For Windows Phone 7 Now Available! - JrzyShr Dev Guy - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

9. Victor Solis

Thanks for putting together such and great and polished application. Do you plan on allowing audio streams to continue to play if one navigates away from the application (eg Slacker Radio)?

December 1, 2010 at 12:10 pm

• lyalindotcom

I am very happy you like it, it was a lot of work but i am very happy with the end result :).

I am trying to get live audio stream to work, this is not easy or out-of-the-box in the platform but i am optimistic it will come in upcoming releases. Live video is less likely anytime soon :(.

As for “continue to play when application exits” Windows Phone 7 does NOT allow me to do this, there is no background music playback (only Zune can do it). In the future i expect this to change and ill continue to update the application so that feature should eventually become available.

December 1, 2010 at 2:18 pm

10. Pingback: 2010 in review « Dmitry Lyalin's WP7 Application Center

11. Duvi

not sure if this has been asked, but will there be a ‘try before you buy’ version?

March 12, 2011 at 8:56 pm